🇪🇸🇨🇴New agreement between Spain and Colombia for students

Study agreement between Colombia and Spain - Luis Vives Study Center

🇪🇸🇨🇴New agreement between Spain and Colombia for students

Hello, #Vivers! Today we bring good news. On May 4, 2023, the Vice Minister of National Education of Colombia and the Ministers of Universities and Education and Vocational Training of Spain signed a new study collaboration agreement. Thanks to this, studying in Spain as a Colombian is now a little easier; However, there are some points that should be clarified. In this article we tell you everything you need to know if you are a Colombian student and are thinking of entering a Spanish university.

What does the study agreement between Spain and Colombia detail?

As can be seen in the BOE 118 of May 18, 2023 or Icfes page (Colombian Institute for the Evaluation of Education), the agreement agrees on mutual recognition of high school diplomas and the state tests saber 11 (Colombia) and EBAU (Spain). This means that students who wish to study in Spain as Colombians will not necessarily have to homologate their bachelor's degree. A relationship is thus established between the EBAU grade and the knowledge test grade 11. In addition, the equivalence of high school degrees is also established.

This study agreement between Colombia and Spain not only focuses on the bachelor's degree, but also applies to all degrees that allow access to higher education in Colombia. Furthermore, Spanish students who wish to study in Colombia will be able to access university in that country with any degree that allows access to university in Spain.

How do I calculate the EBAU grade if I have taken the Saber 11 state test?

Following what is dictated in the agreement, the relationship established between the Saber 11 tests and the Spanish EBAU follows a series of formulas depending on the score obtained. The proposed formulas are the following:

For a grade 'n' in the test, know 11 greater than or equal to 200 points and less than 350 points:

Access grade Spain: (n-12,5)/37,5

For a grade 'n' of the test know 11 greater than or equal to 350 and less than 400 points:

Spain access note: (n+212,5)/62,5

For a grade 'n' of the test, know 11 greater than or equal to 400 and up to 500 points

Spain access note: (n+4500)/500

For example, a Colombian student who got a score of 375 points must use the formula 


So your entrance grade in Spain would be: (375+212,5)/62,5= 9,4

The table shown below shows some reference values ​​for the grade in the Saber 11 test and its equivalent grade in EBAU:

Note know 11 (from 0 to 500)EBAU equivalent grade (from 0 to 10)

In what cases would the student have to homologate their high school diploma?

The study agreement between Colombia and Spain makes it possible to avoid having to homologate the Colombian or Spanish high school diploma on a mandatory basis. However, there will be occasions when to study in Spain as a Colombian, it will be necessary to carry out the homologation and even take the specific skills test (PCE). This test provides an access grade to Spanish universities for students with a foreign baccalaureate. You can find more information about her at this link. Below we will mention some details to consider about the agreement:

  • The agreement only allows you to obtain a maximum EBAU grade of 10. In Spain, the university entrance grade follows a scale that goes from 0 to 14. Therefore, students who wish to access careers with high cut-off grades must necessarily homologate their degree. In addition, they must take the specific phase of the PCE test. For example, a Colombian student who wants to study medicine in Spain will have to homologate his degree and take one to four exams to be able to achieve the required grade.
  • Students with a score less than 200 points are excluded. If the grade obtained in the knowledge 11 test is less than 200 points, you will not be able to enjoy the benefits of the agreement. In this case, you must proceed through the homologation of the Colombian bachelor's degree and take the specific skills test (PCEUNEDassis). 

Other aspects to take into account about the study agreement between Colombia and Spain

In addition to the cases in which the high school diploma must be homologated, it must be taken into account that students who take advantage of the agreement may not be guaranteed access to the university for other reasons:

  • Having an EBAU grade higher than the cut-off grade for the desired degree does not guarantee access to a Spanish university. We have commented on this point on several occasions, such as in our post on what is cut-off mark. If there are many students with the same grade or higher applying for a degree, obtaining a place is not guaranteed. That is why you should always try to obtain the highest grade possible.
  • It is possible that some university may request its own admission requirements.. The education agreement signed between Colombia and Spain does not prevent the universities of both countries from imposing any test or requirement necessary for admission. This is not very common in public Spanish universities, although it is important to find out about the degree you want to study and the universities that offer it. 

This study agreement between Colombia and Spain is very interesting for all Colombian students who wish to study a degree in Spain with a cut-off grade equal to or less than 10 points. However, for careers with a high cut-off mark such as medicine or engineering, it will still be necessary to validate the bachelor's degree and take the PCEUNEDassis tests. If you want to know more about how to study in Spain as a Colombian in this article you will find all the information. If you are thinking of studying at a Spanish university, at the Luis Vives Study Center we are always willing to advise and guide our students with our preparation courses for the PCEUNEDassis tests. Our experience preparing future university students supports us, contact us!

  • December 14, 2023 at 7:17 pm

    Good evening, I am Colombian with residence in Spain, I have a Colombian high school diploma, I do not want to do any university degree in Spain, what I want is to get a job but they ask me for the ESO degree, what should I do, thank you

    • December 15, 2023 at 10:51 am

      Hi Ernesto:

      In this case, the only thing you have to do is homologate your Colombian Bachelor's degree with the Spanish system. Given that the Baccalaureate degree is a higher qualification than the ESO, it should be perfectly suitable for you to enter that job.

      A greeting.

  • December 16, 2023 at 10:05 pm

    What an interesting article. But I want to ask you, I have my diploma and degree right with me here in Spain, what should I do with them to be able to enter university to study civil engineering or architecture?

    • December 18, 2023 at 9:58 am

      Hello Jose!

      Thank you for your words. You can request from the Ministry of Education a homologation (if yours is a regulated career) or an equivalence (if it is a non-regulated career). If you obtain the homologation of your degree, you can apply for a place at the university through access to graduates or equivalents. In Madrid, this procedure is carried out in June.

      In this way you will obtain recognition of your degree in our country. If this process takes too long or you encounter difficulties in achieving it, you can access the university using your high school and SABER11 test scores, or only your high school grades, as we detail in this article.

      A greeting.

    • April 16, 2024 at 5:03 pm

      Good afternoon, I would like to ask a question, I am currently in Spain, I arrived as a tourist but I am interested in a FP that I found here in Spain. I have my High School Diploma and my score on the Saber 11 tests was 316. Would this agreement apply to me? me?

    • April 17, 2024 at 8:53 am

      Hello Andrea:

      According to the terms of the agreement, your Colombian High School Diploma would be recognized in Spain and you would not need to homologate it to access a FP. However, we recommend that you confirm this information with the Spanish Ministry of Education.

      A greeting.

  • December 18, 2023 at 6:25 pm

    Good morning, I have my diploma in Colombia. Where is it most advisable to do the procedure? Should I send it to be apostilled and with all the requirements or should someone do the process for me from there?

    • December 19, 2023 at 9:39 am

      Hi David!

      Although you can do it in either of the two ways, normally students apostille the documents in their country of origin and homologate their degrees once they arrive in Spain.

      A greeting.

    • December 25, 2023 at 11:25 pm

      Good night. I am in the province of Las Palmas, in Lanzarote. Here where can I go or how should I go about homologating my degree? I am a nurse and I want to practice here. Please can you guide me. thank you.

    • December 26, 2023 at 11:12 am

      Hi Anny:

      For procedures related to the homologation of foreign degrees, you must contact any delegation of the Ministry of Education in the national territory.

      A greeting.

  • January 15, 2024 at 11:52 am

    Good morning! As a Colombian student with the intention of pursuing intermediate-level vocational training in Spain, it is essential to take into account the necessary requirements for the validation of your studies. In this context, could the approval of your credentials be a key aspect to carry out this process? Or can I access the training with the UNEDasiss accreditation?

    • January 17, 2024 at 5:19 pm

      Hi Kevin:

      The UNEDasiss accreditation requires that you validate your Colombian studies. By doing so, these approved studies will open the doors to vocational training, including higher education, whose range is higher than the intermediate level.

      A greeting.

  • January 15, 2024 at 7:23 pm

    Hello, good afternoon, I have a high school degree from Colombia, and I want to study in Spain a technical career as a nursing assistant, to do the residency through training, is it necessary to homologate my degree? I'll stay tuned, thank you

    • January 17, 2024 at 5:19 pm

      Hello Mary:

      Yes, to apply for admission to an approved higher technical training you will need to validate your Baccalaureate degree.

      A greeting.

  • January 19, 2024 at 2:09 pm

    Good morning, I am not very clear about what the homologation process is like, my high school diploma and my technology degree are in Colombia, what should I do, according to what I read in one of the comments, correct me if I am wrong, first it is apostilled in Colombia and then the original documents are presented at the Colombian embassy in Spain, which documents as such must be apostilled?

    • January 22, 2024 at 8:50 am

      Hello! Thanks for write. You must apostill your academic documents (your degree and your grades from recent years) at the Embassy. With this, you can carry out the approval process electronically, or in Spain once you have arrived. All the best!

    • March 13, 2024 at 11:08 pm

      Hello, I am in the Canary Islands. I have my Sena technology apostilled from Colombia. Should I also apostill it in Spain to be able to get a job?

    • March 14, 2024 at 10:00 am

      Hello Yesenia:

      It is always advisable to homologate your foreign studies to give them validity in Spain. If you already have it apostilled, it is not necessary to apostill it again here.

      A greeting.

  • January 19, 2024 at 8:12 pm

    Good afternoon, I am Colombian, I live in Valencia, I want to study Hairdressing and Barbering in Spain, I have a Bachelor's degree, Degree Certificate and Diploma already apostilled, I want to know if I have to homologate my degree. If so, where should I go to carry out the process.
    Thank you very much.

    • January 22, 2024 at 8:51 am

      Hello! With these documents apostilled, you can make an appointment at any Government Delegation in Valencia to request the approval of your studies. All the best.

  • January 19, 2024 at 8:47 pm

    hello !! Thank you very much for explaining in detail the homologation of studies and that is why I would like to ask you, I am a lawyer with a specialization from an accredited university in Colombia and I would like to continue studying in Spain, in that sense, would I only have to homologate my degree and my specialization or also my bachelor's degree? ? thank you very much for the response

    • January 22, 2024 at 8:53 am

      Hello. Thank you for reading us. It will be enough to validate your higher education, since these “encompass” the high school diploma. In any case, when you go to carry out the approval, we recommend that you consult with the technician who assists you, so that they can guide you on whether it is convenient to also approve your Bachelor's studies.

  • January 20, 2024 at 11:19 pm

    I have my Colombian high school diploma and in Switzerland I completed a technical study as an early childhood educator. Now I want to study a career or degree online in Spain. This is possible?
    Thank you very much

    • January 22, 2024 at 8:59 am

      Hello Karen. If what you want is to study the degree online, then it will be with a private university. In that case, we recommend that you contact them directly so that they can tell you what documentation you will need for admission. If you want to study online with the UNED, you would have to homologate your studies and request information about whether you must access with your bachelor's degree (through the PCE UNEDasiss), or if they recognize your Swiss degree to access online. university graduate route. We hope we have helped you. All the best.

  • January 23, 2024 at 4:11 pm

    Hello, I am carrying out the process of homologation of the bachelor's degree, which will begin in November 2023, I would like to know what I should do to homologate the ICFES, and what the cost of this procedure is. And yes, to do so I must already be clear in which university I want to study. Thank you so much.

    • January 24, 2024 at 10:39 am

      Hi Jessica:

      For the doubts that you indicate to us, it is best that you contact the UNED directly, and that they tell you the documentation that they will require and whether it must be approved or simply apostilled.

      A greeting.

  • January 24, 2024 at 2:57 pm

    I am Colombian, I have my high school degree in Colombia, and I am interested in entering a higher degree FP, should I homologate my high school degree or is it not necessary with this agreement?

    • January 24, 2024 at 3:58 pm

      Hi Alejandra:

      In principle it should not be necessary, since the agreement agrees on mutual recognition of the high school diplomas of both countries. However, we recommend that you confirm it directly with the Spanish Ministry of Education.

      A greeting.

  • January 31, 2024 at 9:29 am

    Hello, I wanted to know if I can homologate my high school degree with a Spanish passport since the Colombian one has expired and it is impossible for me to make an appointment to renew

    • January 31, 2024 at 12:47 pm

      Hi Bea:

      Homologation is a procedure that you must carry out at the Spanish Ministry of Education, so they are the ones who will be able to resolve this question for you.


  • February 1, 2024 at 11:56 am

    I already have my bachelor's degree approved in Colombia but I don't know if I should do it along with the grades as well, they are only asking me for it in a job and I don't know if it is necessary to do it with the grades in the office in Spain

    • February 1, 2024 at 3:13 pm

      Hello Karen:

      Since you tell us that they are asking you for it in a job, the most convenient thing would be for you to ask them directly how they need this approval to be done.

      A greeting.

  • February 17, 2024 at 10:44 am

    Hello, excellent information you provide.
    In my case, I am Colombian, I obtained my bachelor's degree in 1995. I currently live in Spain with a residence permit. I brought with me my apostilled and legalized high school diploma, just that since the school from which I graduated from high school closed its doors and no longer exists, that school sent to the Colombian Ministry of Education only the information that I received, I finished my high school in that school and that's why they apostilled my diploma at the secretary of education
    but that school did not send information about the grades obtained. My question is that only with the apostilled diploma can I homologate my studies in Spain.
    thank you very much happy day
    all the best

    • February 19, 2024 at 9:22 am

      Hello Francisco:

      The best thing is that you raise these doubts directly with the Ministry of Education of Spain, which is the body in charge of homologations, and that they tell you if your apostilled degree is enough or if you need something else to be able to homologate it.

      A greeting.

  • February 25, 2024 at 6:26 pm

    Hello, I want to do a higher vocational training in Spain and I will have a high school degree in Colombia soon. What should I do?

    Thank you

    • February 26, 2024 at 8:38 am

      Hello Alberto:

      In principle, according to the terms of the agreement, your Colombian high school diploma allows you to access a higher vocational training in Spain without needing to homologate it. However, we recommend that you confirm this information with the Spanish Ministry of Education.

      A greeting.

  • February 29, 2024 at 12:26 pm

    Hello, I would like to do a higher vocational training, for this my high school certificate must be homologated and if so, if it is only going to be processed now that registrations begin while the homologation comes out, could you accept me like this?

    • March 1, 2024 at 8:35 am

      Hi Patricia:

      In principle it should not be necessary to homologate it, since the agreement agrees on mutual recognition of the high school diplomas of both countries. However, we recommend that you confirm it directly with the Spanish Ministry of Education.

      A greeting.

  • March 4, 2024 at 2:24 am

    Hello, at UNED they gave me an accreditation with a grade of 8,54, would this be enough for me to study physical activity and sports sciences?

    • March 4, 2024 at 8:54 am

      Hello Daniel:

      It will depend on the cut-off mark of that degree at the university you want to attend and the marks you have obtained in the subjects of the specific part.

      A greeting.

  • March 9, 2024 at 7:49 pm

    Best regard:
    My name is Jose, I validated my high school diploma in Colombia in a single exam, as such the ICFES issued me the academic high school degree. My question is whether this title can be homologated in Spain? This with the aim of being able to access a job.
    Thanks for your quick response

    • March 11, 2024 at 8:56 am

      Hello Jose:

      For this question, it is best that you go directly to the Ministry of Education of Spain and they will tell you if you can approve it.

      A greeting.

  • March 10, 2024 at 10:43 pm


    I have all the documents to apply for UNEDassis accreditation, my question is prior to this, is there any age range or requirement in this regard to access the university? I am 27 years old.

    Thank you.

    • March 11, 2024 at 8:55 am

      Good morning, Sergio:

      No, age is not a requirement. If you have your Baccalaureate approved or in process, you can request UNEDasiss accreditation.

      A greeting.

  • March 12, 2024 at 10:02 pm

    Good evening, I am Colombian and I have my high school diploma, I want to apply for training with a professional certificate.
    I have already requested my grade certificates but to seal them at the Colombian Secretary of Education they say that it is no longer done physically but by email. My question is, don't these documents have to be the originals and have the original seal for the apostille? Thank you very much for your reply

    • March 13, 2024 at 11:19 am

      Hello, Yenifer:

      For this question, it is best that you go directly to the organization where you are going to apostille the documentation and that they tell you how you should present it.

      A greeting.

  • March 14, 2024 at 12:46 pm

    Hello, greetings and thank you first for the article.

    I would like to study in Spain and I have my technical bachelor's degree in Colombia and Saber 11 tests with a score of 264. According to that, my EBAU equivalent grade is 6.7, which I consider quite low. What should I do in this case? Submit tests or could you also approve the high school diploma?

    • March 14, 2024 at 12:56 pm

      Hello Santiago:

      Everything will depend on the cut-off grade of the degree you want to access. If this is higher than 6,7, you will have to approve your baccalaureate and take the PCE tests to be able to reach the grade you need.

      A greeting.

  • March 26, 2024 at 12:17 am

    Good evening, thank you very much for the article, I finished high school last year in Bogotá, I want to study biomedical engineering at one of the universities in Madrid that offer the degree (autonomous, poltecnico or Carlos III, with the new agreement I would only need the qualification of the icfes state tests and the high school diploma, or would I also have to take an admission exam? It is not clear to me if the agreement alone with homologating the test scores of Colombia and Spain would be enough.

    Thank you very much

    Juan Diego

    • April 1, 2024 at 9:07 am

      Hello, Juan Diego:

      As the entrance grade for the career you want to study is above 10, you will have to validate your high school diploma and take the PCE to be able to raise the grade you have obtained in the knowledge 11 tests.

      A greeting.

  • April 7, 2024 at 11:59 pm

    Good evening, interesting article, I have several questions.

    My bachelor's degree is Venezuelan but I have it approved by resolution in Colombia. Does that resolution help me to study there, for example, a FP? Or should I also approve it in Spain?

    Another question, is the equivalence of a technological degree (6 semesters) or a professional degree (10 semesters) valid to work in Spain? Since my degrees are for equivalence but not homologation, or should I do a master's degree to give continuity to my studies and thus be able to work in Spain?

    Stay tuned, thank you very much.

    • April 8, 2024 at 7:38 am

      Hello Yudeisy:

      For these doubts, it is best that you go directly to the Spanish Ministry of Education and they will tell you if you should also homologate your degrees in Spain or it is not necessary.

      A greeting.

  • April 10, 2024 at 5:53 pm

    Hello, how are you, I cannot apply for homologation since the school where I finished high school closed and there is no way to get the certificates. In fact, in a move I lost the diploma and I only have it scanned. In Spain I studied in CP level 3 Now I want to study a higher vocational training but one of the requirements is to approve the baccalaureate and due to the situation I mentioned I cannot do it. Is there any way to access it?

    • April 11, 2024 at 7:32 am

      Hi Diego:

      One option you have is to take the access tests to Higher Level Training Cycles. You have all the information about the requirements to apply and about the preparation courses that we teach in this page of our website.

      A greeting.

  • April 26, 2024 at 11:10 pm

    Hello !!

    Thank you very much for the information. I want to homologate my university degree in Spain, first do I have to homologate the bachelor's degree?

    As a tourist, can I start any homologation process?

    • April 29, 2024 at 7:59 am

      Hi Shara,

      The best thing is that you ask directly at the Ministry of Education of Spain, and that they explain to you what steps you must follow.

      A greeting.

  • April 29, 2024 at 12:17 pm

    hello . I am Colombian, I have been one year away from finishing my high school in Colombia, could at least the ESO be homologated? Thank you

    • April 29, 2024 at 1:55 pm

      Hello Daniela:

      The best thing is that you ask directly at the Ministry of Education of Spain and that they tell you the options you have in order to validate your studies.

      A greeting.

  • May 22, 2024 at 1:57 pm

    Best regard.

    I am currently in Spain and I want to homologate my nursing assistant degree, my question is the following since I have seen different opinions and this confuses me. All documents must be apostilled? or only degree certificate and diploma. The thing is that apostilling all the documents would be super expensive.

    I thank you very much for your response as I want to move forward in this process.

    • May 23, 2024 at 8:18 am

      Hello Dassy:

      The best thing is that you ask directly at the Ministry of Education of Spain, and that they explain to you what steps you must follow.

      A greeting.

  • June 10, 2024 at 3:49 am

    Hello, I am Colombian and I have a question about whether, apart from the ICFES 11, since I have an equivalence to an EBAU 8,9, how should I add the average high school grade to this previous grade and if it would be necessary to do the specific tests.

    • June 10, 2024 at 8:06 am

      Hello Natalia:

      The EBAU grade in Spain is calculated taking into account the high school grade and the selectivity exams. For students from Colombia who have taken the Saber 11 tests, an equivalent EBAU grade is established according to your score. If the degree you want to access has a cut-off mark lower than the grade of your equivalence (8,9 in your case), it is not necessary that you take the PCE exams, but if the cut-off mark of the degree you want to access is higher, you will have to take the specific PCE subjects in order to raise your grade.

      A greeting.

  • June 12, 2024 at 6: 11 pm

    Good afternoon
    I study virtually in Spain, I have a high school degree from Colombia and I did the process and they gave me the approval flyer, but now I don't know what happened next, could you please guide me

    • June 13, 2024 at 7:24 am

      Hello isbael:

      Once you receive the final homologation document, you can choose to continue your studies, either by trying to access the university, taking the PCE tests if necessary, or by completing a Higher Level Training Cycle, to which the title of Approved high school gives you direct access.

      A greeting.

  • June 18, 2024 at 9: 46 pm

    Hello, I am Colombian. I have the apostilled degree certificate and the duplicate diploma applied because the original one deteriorated. I have a grade of 11. I am not interested in the university, but taking a 4-month course. Yes...this is valid for me to homologate or not, it is not necessary. homologate by the agreement of the kingdom of Spain and Colombia

    • June 19, 2024 at 10:52 am

      Hello, Johanna:

      In this case, it is best to ask directly where you are going to take the 4-month course if they require you to have an approved degree or if it is not necessary.

      A greeting.

tell us what you think

Please enter comment.
Please enter your name.
Please enter your email address.
Please enter a valid email address.