General Information

Students around a table
The importance of summer academies

Summer! It is a wonderful time of rest and fun for many students. But taking summer classes can also be a great opportunity to prepare for your academic future. In Madrid, many summer academies offer courses aimed at preparing for September exams, pre-university courses or remedial courses for students who have arrived from a stay abroad.

Why summer is so important for the preparation of the PCE UNEDasiss September 2024

The summer period provides a large amount of free time that can be used to review and reinforce the concepts learned during the school year. For students facing the PCE UNEDasiss Selectivity exams in September, summer becomes a very important period. They can review the content, resolve doubts and practice exercises, all under the expert guidance of qualified teachers. If you still have time to prepare, check out our PCE UNEDasiss Selectivity summer course 2024.

Should I study at an academy the summer before university?

For those about to enter college, it is essential to be prepared for the academic challenges that await you. Especially in Science, Engineering or Health degrees. The summer pre-university courses They offer the perfect opportunity. They can familiarize themselves with the content of key subjects and develop the skills necessary to survive the first year of university. The knowledge of Algebra, Calculus, Physics or Chemistry are the most in demand by pre-university students in summer.

Benefits of reinforcement in a summer academy for students who come from a stay abroad

For students who have spent an academic year in countries such as the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom or Ireland, returning to Spain can present unique challenges. Adapting to a new educational system and leveling up knowledge can be essential to ensure a smooth transition.

The summer academies in Madrid offer specialized educational reinforcement courses (such as this). They are designed to help these students close knowledge gaps. It allows them to acquire the necessary skills to successfully (re)integrate into the Spanish educational system. 

From specific classes in the most demanding subjects, such as Mathematics or Physics and Chemistry, to personalized tutoring in specific subjects, summer academies offer the necessary support so that students who have arrived from abroad level up, and feel safe and prepared for face the new school year 24-25.

There is time for everything?

Definitely yes. Fortunately, summer is long. It is not only a time to relax, but also a great opportunity to invest in your academic future. Whether for students preparing for the PCE UNEDasiss Selectivity exams in September 2024, starting their university journey or adapting to a new educational system after studying abroad, summer educational reinforcement in Madrid offers the necessary support to achieve academic success. 

If you are looking for an academy this summer of 2024 you can check our courses. You will surely find what you need. If not, contact us and we will help you in every way possible.

Emigrate to Spain. Passport and suitcase
[Updated 2024] Emigrate to Spain ⭐ The definitive guide

Emigrating to Spain in search of new opportunities, work or studies is the decision made every year by hundreds of thousands of people around the world. However, the process can be complicated depending on the country of origin and the length of time you wish to remain within Spanish territory. Therefore, it is very important that you inform yourself very well before starting this adventure. Because some procedures must be carried out in the country of origin. 

To help you with this path that you are going to begin to travel, at the Luis Vives Study Center we have prepared this guide with the steps you must follow to move to Spain. Specifically, this guide is designed for those people who come from a country that does not belong to the European Union and is not Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or Liechtenstein. If you live in any of these countries, our colleagues at the Luis Vives Spanish School have prepared this guide for you.

What you should know before moving to Spain

Below we give you some tips so that you know where to start your planning to emigrate to Spain, these are some things that you should plan before starting any procedure.

  1. You must think about how long you want to be in the country, the procedures are different if you are going to stay in Spain for more than 90 days.
  2. If you are a student, you must find out about the studies you want to enroll in. You should know if you need an access test, such as university studies or higher-level training cycles. If this is your case, you are very interested in reading esto.
  3. If you are going to work, we recommend that you start looking for work before traveling to Spain. If you get a job, the process will be much easier.
  4. Plan the first months, choose a city to live in and investigate how expensive life is in that place. Study rental prices, food and services. 
  5. Save enough before traveling, keep in mind that the currency used in Spain is the euro. This can cause you to lose purchasing power when exchanging currencies. For example, when going from soles to euros in the case of Peru.
  6. If your native language is not Spanish, we recommend that you start your Spanish studies in the months before coming to Spain. You can also sign up for a Spanish class immediately after arriving in the country.

What documentation do I need to work or study in Spain as a foreigner? The steps to follow as well as the documentation you will need to immigrate to Spain vary depending on the country of origin. The main distinction is made between community or equivalent countries (EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein), and non-community countries such as Iran or Morocco. 

What procedures should I complete before emigrating to Spain?

If you are thinking about moving to Spain you should consider some questions before coming.

Get your passport

In order to enter the country you will need to provide a passport that is valid during your stay in Spain. Therefore, before traveling you should make sure that the dates are appropriate and renew it or get it in case it is going to expire soon or you do not have it. To get your passport you must go to the organization in your country where they are issued. You can generally make an appointment or find information to apply for your passport online. This is the case of Colombia on the Foreign Ministry's page, or Peru on the platform of the Peruvian State. If for some reason you lose this document once inside the country, you must go to a consulate where they will provide you with safe passage while they process a new passport.

Get your national visa for Spain 

The visa is an essential document to be able to emigrate to Spain if you do not have a European or Spanish passport. To obtain this you must make an appointment at the Spanish consulate of the country where you reside and present the visa application there along with the necessary documentation. As a basis, the documentation that anyone wishing to apply for a visa must present is:

  • National visa application form completed for the visa you want.
  • Passport size photograph (26×32 mm) in color and with a light background of your face. It is preferable that you avoid wearing glasses or clothing that hides your face.
  • Valid and current passport (at least 120 days of validity remaining).
  • Criminal record certificate issued by the country of origin or countries where you have lived in the last 5 years. It must be less than 3 months old.
  • Documentation proving that you have a private medical insurance policy with permission to operate in Spain. It must cover at least 30000 euros in addition to hospitalization and repatriation.
  • Proof of financial solvency, especially with student or job search visas. 
  • Medical certificate proving that you do not suffer from a disease with serious repercussions on public health (WHO regulations are followed).
  • Original and copy of the air ticket reservation with the estimated date for the trip.

You must keep in mind that there are different types of visas. Each one also requires extra documentation that you must also present at the time of application. For example, on a study visa you will be asked for proof of admission to your studies signed by the management of the center where you are going to study (school or university). If you are going to work, they will also ask you for the employment contract and the initial residence and work authorization signed by the employer and issued by the corresponding Government Delegation. Additionally, if the documentation is not in Spanish, an official legalized translation must be provided. On the other hand, if a document is not given by an official body, it must be apostilled, generally using the Hague Apostille.

Once all the documentation has been delivered along with the application, it will take between 1 and 2 months to respond. You should keep in mind that they may ask you for additional documentation, and in some cases even call you for a personal interview. For example, they may ask you for a document indicating where you will live in the days following your arrival in Spain. It can be a rental contract, an invitation from a family member or a stay in a hotel or residence of more than two weeks.

It is possible that you want to emigrate to Spain and your visa is denied, even if you have provided all the necessary information. So make sure you book your trip early enough to cancel if necessary. If your visa is denied, you should find out the reasons and go through the application process again later, or file an appeal if your situation allows it.

Procedures that you must carry out when arriving in Spain

Once you have entered Spanish territory you must finish legalizing your situation, to do this you will have to take a few more steps.

Get a place of residence

The place of residence may be a requirement when granting the visa, so we recommend that you obtain it even before leaving for Spain. However, if you do not have any family members with whom you can live or a rental contract, you can choose to stay in a pension for the first weeks after your arrival. Keep in mind that as we mentioned previously, hotel or guesthouse reservations must be longer than two weeks. 

Many people who want to emigrate to Spain think about Madrid or Barcelona. When looking for a rental home, we recommend avoiding these large cities. In these places the rental prices are very high. However, these cities are well connected to nearby cities and towns with lower prices that present themselves as good alternatives. If you prefer proximity to the center of these cities, you can choose to share a flat, rent a room or live in a residence if you are a university student.

emigrate to Spain political map Madrid
Political map of Madrid

Communicate your place of residence: register in the registry

Once you find the place where you are going to reside regularly, you must notify the competent authority. In this case it will be the town hall of the town where the home is located. To do this you must register in the Register (register), for which you will have to present the following documentation:

  • You must fill out and present the individual or Collective Registration form. In some places it is known as the registration sheet or resident registration form.
  • A photocopy and the original of one or more documents that prove the use of the home. For example: home purchase and sale contract, home deeds, rental contract, invoices or supply contracts.
  • The authorization signed by the owner of a family member or friend in case you are going to live with them. Keep in mind that you must be the owner of the home to be able to carry out the procedure. You must include this authorization in the registration form.
  • If you have minor children, you will also need a photocopy and the original of their passports and visas or identity documents, in addition to the family book.

Get your foreigner identification number or NIE

This is the personal identification number that is assigned to all nationals of other countries who emigrate to Spain. It is a personal and non-transferable number that does not expire once you obtain it and will only cease to be valid if you obtain Spanish nationality. The NIE is necessary to be able to carry out some important activities in Spain, such as opening a bank account, registering for social security or accepting job offers and therefore obtaining a work contract. This means that if you travel to Spain with an employment contract already signed, during the process you will have already obtained an NIE as well as a social security affiliation number.

Requesting the NIE is a procedure that can be done from Spain or from your country of residence. Therefore, in some cases you will be able to complete this step before emigrating to Spain. If you do it from your country, you must go to the Spanish consulate or embassy so you will have to make an appointment to submit the application and provide the documents. If, on the other hand, you are already within Spanish territory, you must present the application and documentation to the general directorate of the police. To do this, the most common way is to go to the general immigration police station closest to you and request an appointment for the processing and provision of documentation. The main documentation that you must provide is:

  • Completed EX15 foreigner identity number application form
  • Form 790 code 012 and proof of payment of the associated fee.

In addition to this, they may ask you for additional information that you should have prepared:

  • Passport and copy of all pages. 
  • Document accrediting entry into Spain, it can be the stamp of your own passport or the plane ticket with which you traveled to the country.
  • Certificate of registration.
  • Document that justifies why you need a NIE. For example, a study visa, a job application or a deposit contract for a property.
  • Passport-sized color photographs with a white background.

Once you get the NIE you will be able to move towards your goal, the foreigner identity card or TIE.

Get the foreigner identity card or TIE

Obtaining this card is the last challenge that anyone who wants to move to Spain from outside the European Union must go through. This document represents your official registration in the central registry of foreign citizens and is mandatory if you are going to reside in Spain for more than six months. That is, once you have let the local authorities know that you will reside in Spain and in that home, you must receive authorization at the national level. Keep in mind that you must start the TIE application during the first month of your stay in Spain, so you must make an appointment as soon as possible. 

To request an appointment you must access the government electronic headquarters, select a province and the procedure “POLICE-TAKING FINGERPRINTS (ISSUE OF CARD) AND RENEWAL OF LONG-DURATION CARD” if you are a student or worker. On the other hand, if you are an entrepreneur you must select the procedure “POLICE-ISSUE OF CARDS WHOSE AUTHORIZATION IS RESOLVED BY THE GENERAL DIRECTORATE OF MIGRATION”. Once you have the appointment, you must appear in person before the documentation unit of the national police of the province where you live. This unit is usually in the foreigners office or immigration office, or in police stations with a designated area for this. The documentation that may be required of you on the day of the appointment, and that you must therefore present, is:

  • Appointment receipt
  • Fee payment form 709 (code 012) [link rel='nofollow'] filled out and printed.
  • Bank receipt for payment of fee 709, which must be paid before the date of the appointment.
  • Filled out EX17 form (students and workers) or Mi-TIE form (investors, entrepreneurs, digital nomads, highly qualified professionals or researchers).
  • Application for registration certificate.
  • Recent passport-sized color photograph with a light or white background.
  • Visa or copy of the administrative resolution where residence is granted.

The time to obtain the TIE is approximately 45 days, during that time you will have a receipt that will allow you to do some paperwork and pick it up at the designated place.

Get your social security number 

This step will not be necessary if you already have a job or if you are not going to work, such as a full-time student, as long as you do not do an internship. The Social Security number (NUSS or SSN) will allow you to work in Spain and collect subsidies, benefits or pensions, as well as access to public healthcare. If you move to Spain as a citizen of the European Union and assimilated, you can obtain it directly at an office of the General Treasury of Social Security or through its website. You will need to provide the following information:

  • Photocopy and original of your passport
  • Certificate of registration
  • Original and photocopy of your TIE
  • A working email address
  • A passport size photograph
  • Model TA.1 Membership Application/Social Security Number completed using capital letters and printed.

Keep in mind that if you are already working with a legal contract, your Social Security registration will have been processed by your employer. You can review it on the website of the General Treasury of Social Security.

Final considerations for those who wish to emigrate to Spain

Finally we add some extra advice and information to make your experience with the procedures more bearable.

  • Documents that are not in Spanish must be accompanied by a sworn and legalized translation. For this, the Hague Apostille will be used. If you come from a country that is not a signatory to the Hague Convention, you will need legalization through diplomatic channels. To do this you must contact the competent government agency.
  • Minors will need authorization from their parents to obtain the visa. Likewise, the presence of the parents will be required when requesting the NIE in addition to their documentation and the family book. In the case of divorce, you may be asked for a copy of the judgment for some procedure and authorization from both parents in case of shared custody.
  • If you are a student you will not need a social security number unless you want to work. However, you should know that the study visa implies that you must be able to guarantee such full-time studies. Therefore you will have to provide evidence indicating that work and studies are compatible. Furthermore, work cannot constitute your main means of economic support.
  • Those who travel to Spain with a student visa can apply for a companion visa for their parents or partner. However, the status of companion prevents him from working during the stay. Therefore, you must demonstrate that you have sufficient financial means for both.
  • To demonstrate sufficient financial means, an employment contract will be required in the case of an employed worker, registration in the commercial registry of your business in the case of self-employed workers and entrepreneurs, or a responsible declaration and the income history of the last months in a bank account accessible by the person if they are a student or unemployed. You must keep in mind that the income each month must be higher than the IPREM at that time.

Now you know what are the main procedures you must carry out to be able to emigrate to Spain. From the Luis Vives Study Center we hope that this guide serves as guidance and we remind you that if you want to access the Spanish educational system we are at your disposal to help you. More than 25 years of experience support us!

person puts seal approve bachelor's degree spain
[Updated 2024]⭐Requirements to homologate the Bachelor's degree in Spain

Hello, Vivers! If you want to study in Spain and you have a Secondary or Baccalaureate degree in your country, this article is of interest to you. We have been helping our students access Spanish universities for more than 25 years. Every year, thousands of students from all over the world come to our country with the aim of Access to college or a Higher education training cycle. To do this, the vast majority of them will need to homologate the Bachelor's degree in Spain, so it is essential to know the requirements and steps to be able to carry out this procedure. In this article we tell you how to homologate your studies to the Spanish Baccalaureate: who can present it, what documentation you need, what legalization and translation is, where you should present it and how long it will take to receive the approved Baccalaureate degree.

Who can submit the application for homologation to the Spanish Baccalaureate

Any person or their representative whose studies in their country are considered equivalent to the Spanish Baccalaureate can request the homologation of their qualification. To find out the equivalence of your qualification with the Spanish educational system, you can consult this websites. In this link you can review the equivalence of your qualification to the different educational levels in Spain. This way you will be able to know what level your studies correspond to. In this article we are going to focus on those students who can homologate their qualification to the Spanish Baccalaureate, but if you have questions about any of the other levels of homologation you can leave us a comment below.

Documentation necessary to approve the Bachelor's degree in Spain

The Secondary or Baccalaureate degree of each country is different. To homologate your studies to the Spanish Baccalaureate, the Spanish Ministry of Education requires that you present the following documents:

  • Document proving the applicant's identity: passport, NIE or DNI. If the request is made by a representative, a signed authorization for representation must also be attached.
  • Official Bachelor's degree or diploma.
  • Certification of grades accrediting the last three years of Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification.
  • Application model.
  • Flyer for conditional registration in educational centers.
  • payment of the rate 079: currently, 49,76 euros. If you are outside of Spain, you have the option of making a international transfer for the payment of this fee.

If you go in person to apply, they will give you the application form and the flyer there.

Legalization and translation of documents

If your educational system does NOT belong to the EU or Switzerland, it is necessary that the documents you present be legalized or apostilled for them to have legal validity. This procedure of sealing documents with the Hague Apostille is normally carried out at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your country of origin.

Furthermore, if your educational system is not Spanish-speaking, the documents you present to validate the Bachelor's degree in Spain must be accompanied by an official translation into Spanish. This official translation can be done through a sworn translator authorized and registered in Spain, or through the diplomatic or consular representation in your country of origin, or at the Embassy or Consulate of your country in Spain.

Where to submit the application to homologate the Bachelor's degree in Spain

You can submit this request electronically or in person. 

If you want to do it online, by yourself or through a representative, you can do it at the Electronic Headquarters of the Ministry of Education. In the application you will fill out the form, you will be able to include all the necessary documentation, and the registration flyer will be automatically generated, necessary to be able to take the PCE UNEDasiss Selectivity. Don't you know what UNEDasiss PCE are? They are the university entrance exams that international students must take if they want to enter a university degree. Look here more info.

We show you what the online application looks like:

Online application to approve a Bachelor's degree in Spain
Online application for homologation to the Spanish Baccalaureate

If you prefer to do the process of homologating the Bachelor's degree in Spain in person, you can do it:

  • At the General Registry of the Ministry in Madrid: Calle Los Madrazo, 17. You can make an appointment here, although you can also go without an appointment.
  • In the Information and Registration Offices of the Government Delegations or Subdelegations of the Autonomous Communities. You can make an appointment here. In Madrid, the Government Delegation is on the street García de Paredes, 65.
  • In the General Registries of the diplomatic representations of Spain abroad, that is, in the Consulates or Embassies of Spain in your country of origin.

How long does it take to homologate the Bachelor's degree in Spain?

The deadline for the resolution of these files is 3 months, counting from the time you have created the complete application, with all the necessary documents, and have paid the fee.

Remember that, if you want to prepare to access a Spanish university, it is NOT necessary to have received the approved Baccalaureate to be able to take the UNEDasiss PCE. You can request accreditation and register for the UNED Selectivity tests with the flyer that is generated when making the application.

How can we help you

We hope that this article has been helpful to you in knowing how to homologate the Bachelor's degree in Spain. Remember that at CE Luis Vives we help you on your great adventure if you want to study in Spain:

  • We offer academic and professional guidance.
  • If you want to study at university in Spain, we have the best preparation course for the PCE UNEDasiss Specific Competencies Tests. You can study online o in-person or.
  • All updated teaching material, and an exclusive Virtual Campus with the best resources to prepare your university entrance tests. 
  • Luis Vives is the Managing Entity of the UNED, so we assist you throughout the registration process in the PCE UNEDasiss.
  • If you need to receive a long-term study visa, you can take our course and obtain a study certificate with which to apply for the visa.
  • If you need help to carry out your approval for the Spanish Baccalaureate, Luis Vives collaborates with the Vive Muy Mola Study Agency, who with their legal team accompany the entire process before the Ministry of Education. You can contact them through their account Instagram or in Web page, will help you with all the necessary procedures to make your international educational adventure a success. 

And if you've come this far and still have questions, leave us a comment below. Until next time!

👨‍🏫The importance of higher education when looking for a job

Hello, #Vivers! Many of the students who come to our Selectivity academy, access to FP and preparation of free tests in Madrid to prepare, do so with the same objective: to improve their employment situation. Some are out of work and are looking to obtain a degree that will allow them to apply for more jobs. Others, however, despite being working, need to improve their qualifications due to the demands of the company or seeking to improve in it.

The prospects for the Spanish labor market in the future offer interesting data; vacancies will be oriented (more than 65%) towards Vocational Training. It is the training segment most in demand currently by public and private companies in the country, a trend that has been observed in recent years.

According to various studies, of the total job offers, around 38% need people with university degrees. While the demand for higher degree FP titles is at 42%. These indicators contrast with the figures from a few years ago, where the most in demand were professional titles.

Percentage of vacancies that require each degree

According to job offer data provided by the job search portal, the offers are distributed as follows:

Selectivity preparation academies, access to FP and free tests in Madrid - Luis Vives Study Center
  • University degree: near to 14% of offers of published employment, require a university degree. This represents a decrease of approximately 2% compared to the previous period.
  • Higher degree vocational training degree: Vacancies requesting a higher degree vocational training degree increased by close to 20% compared to the previous period (2018). Job offers for this training category reach 25%, is positioned as the second most demanded in Spain. This indicator reflects the observed trend, with an increase in vacancies for Higher Vocational Training degrees exceeding the supply of university degrees.
  • Baccalaureate degree: The 12% of vacancies At Jobsora they request a Baccalaureate degree, with more than 350 thousand job offers. The demand for this level of training experienced growth of around 11% (in relation to the previous year).
  • Secondary Education Degree: of the total vacancies, the 29% request a secondary degree (ESO – Compulsory Secondary Education). More than 890 thousand job offers requested an ESO qualification, with a growth of 6%.
  • Without qualification: vacancies that apply for without qualifications represents 14,5%, with a 60% increase in job offers.

Average salary offered in offers according to qualification.

The average annual salary for vacancies is directly proportional to the level of education, in other words, the higher the level of education, the higher the salary to be obtained.

Selectivity preparation academies, access to FP and free tests in Madrid - Luis Vives Study Center

As can be seen, the difference between offers at one level or another is quite notable, being 31% between those for university graduates and those without a degree.

Compared to the previous period, the offers whose amounts increased the most were those for Baccalaureate, with an increase of 3%, and those for higher degree vocational training graduates, with 2%. For their part, offers for university graduates and secondary education rose only 1%. The only ones that decrease are the offers that do not require any qualification, which are down 1% compared to the previous year.

I hope that with this it has become clear to you how important it is to have an official qualification when looking for a job. At the Luis Vives Study Center, we are an academy for selectivity preparation, access to FP and free tests in Madrid, and we can prepare you to obtain some of the qualifications requested in the offers, such as the Official Graduate Degree in ESO, or the Baccalaureate degree. In the same way, we also prepare you so that you can access the studies that allow you to obtain the highest qualifications, through the higher degree vocational training entrance exam or the Selectivity.

Tips for studying - Luis Vives Study Center
How should I study?

Hello, #Vivers! If you have already reviewed our article on how to plan your study, this one may also interest you. Sometimes, the success of our academic life does not depend so much on the hours we dedicate to studying, but rather on the use of them. Any good study advice you are given will be based on this maxim.

Tips for studying - Luis Vives Study CenterWe tend to be used to organizing ourselves in a certain way and are quite reticent about any proposal for change. José Pascual, pioneer in the use of Study Techniques and Personal Development and Human Relations tools, states that “one of the most common errors is to think that we already know how to study.” If until now we have not obtained the desired results, why not change?

Let's start by making a schedule with the aim of arriving at the exams with all the material assimilated. Try to always start your study session at the same time and stick to it every day of the week (yes, Saturdays and Sundays included). Start with the subjects of medium difficulty, continue with the difficult ones and end with the easy ones; Dedicate the time you deem necessary to each one (you'll see if it's enough or not). Every time you finish studying a subject, give yourself a few minutes of rest.

Don't forget to include leisure in your schedule. Think that making better use of your study hours means having more time to do those activities that you most want.

Tips for studying: the importance of reading quickly

Are you already seated and with all the necessary material on the table? Well let's start. Your goal is to read quickly and understand what you read. Pronouncing the words will hinder this task. Guide yourself with your finger or a pencil, too. There is a formula that will allow you to know if your speed is adequate or not:

Number of words in the text x 60 / Seconds spent reading

LevelWords per minute
Excellent260 or more
Very poor169 or less

It is estimated that around 50% of what is read is forgotten as soon as it is finished. This should not worry us because, if we manage to repeat what we have studied with our words, the retention is much greater. Memorizing “like a parrot” is meaningless, it is proven that we remember more easily what we have assimilated or understood. The most important advice for studying that we can give you in this sense is that you do not try to retain everything in your memory (because, in addition to being impossible, it is useless): summarize and extract the essentials. To move away from traditional rote learning, there are methods of synthesizing and assimilating content that will be truly useful, such as underlining, diagrams, summaries or concept maps. Also use them for your revisions, they will be of great help in the days before the exams.

It is essential that you observe everything that does not work and change it. Keep in mind that you probably won't find your “ideal plan” the first time, but you will have to refine your method until you find the study mode that best suits your conditions. You should also know that the work plan is personal: what is very useful to one person may not be of any use to another. Everyone has to find their formula.

Improving our academic results is within everyone's reach, we just have to set our minds to it, establish a plan and be consistent with its execution.

We hope that this article has been useful to you and that these tips help you improve the way you study and, with it, your results.

Methods to study. The importance of studying from day one - Luis Vives Study Center
The importance of studying from day one

Hello, #Vivers! There are many methods to study, but not all are equally effective. If you are one of those who start studying when there are days or hours left for the exams, we have something to tell you: you are not alone. Many students have made this mistake, and for this reason, we want to explain the reasons not to do it again. The Selectivity exams They are of a moderate level that will require a great effort from us. We must think about whether it is worth throwing away a year of study (or more) if we do not have determination and perseverance.

Methods to study. Why is it not good to study only at the end of the course?

For many reasons:

  1. Lack of time to complete the entire syllabus. There is a risk of not being able to study 100% of what is on the exam, so luck may not be on our side and they will ask us about what we have not studied.
  2. We work on short-term memory and very little on compression. Knowing the mechanisms of what an agenda is about and putting it into practice takes time. When we study or read something it requires assimilation and practice. When we practice with exercises we are placing them in our long-term memory and, most importantly, we can scale the level of difficulty and we will be prepared for the next topic. If we reduce the study time we will be in the hands of remembering that answer by trying our luck again and for inspiration to come to us and we remember it.

When to start studying?

Many students ask us about the weekly teaching load they should have. The first thing we tell them is that it depends on what the starting level is, how much time is left for the exams and how difficult the syllabus to study is. Starting from the normal case that the content is unknown or you have a basic idea and it is preparation for the selectivity or access to a higher degree, we recommend an average of 80 hours of study per subject. This number of hours depends on what was mentioned above about the type of subject, but it can give us an idea of ​​the distribution we should make.

Methods to study. Weekly schedule

The best thing is that, from the first moment, we have a planning of the study. In this way we will organize time to use it more efficiently. In this way we can have time for leisure, work, travel, etc.

Let's see the calculations if we want to prepare from September for the May/June exams:

8 months is 32 weeks. Assuming the number of hours we have described, 80 hours, gives us 2,5 hours per week.

This small amount of teaching load can assure us an excellent result if we comply with it from the first day.

If we wanted to start studying with only 2 months left, this weekly amount increases to 10 hours a week. It may seem affordable, but we must add that, as we have mentioned before, the compression can be altered, making it difficult for us to assimilate a higher level topic.

We must also not forget that we must have enough time to, at least, review what has been studied. One of the best ways there is is to plan everything to do 3 laps of the agenda. The first quick one to see which points we need to focus more attention on and have a map of what we should study. Another intense lap, memorizing and understanding the contents. A quick third to clarify concepts and refine those contents that cost us the most.


Studying with a plan will save us time, effort and trouble. They are all advantages. If you have never done it, we invite you to do it. Furthermore, if we want to study at university, we must know and understand the theory. Create the foundation from preparation to Selectivity It will ensure us a good university start. 

We hope that this article is useful to you and that you get used to studying the different subjects from day one. You will surely notice it in the results.

Study in Spain as a foreigner - Luis Vives Study Center
Study in 🇪🇸Spain: we solve all your doubts

Have you already decided? Do you want to come to study in Spain? Good! Spain is a very popular destination among international students. It has a great history, cultural wealth and a warm climate. That is why many young people decide to come to study in Spain and they do so from very diverse backgrounds: Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, the United States, Morocco or Iran. In this article you will discover important questions that you should know, and what steps you should follow depending on your age and your level of education. And if instead of reading you prefer to be told, you have to see the video we have prepared about all the steps to follow to study in Spain as a foreigner.

What do I need to know to come to study in Spain as a foreigner?

To start planning to come to study in Spain as a foreigner, there are certain things that we consider important for you to be clear about.

  • The language: if you don't speak Spanish, you will have to start studying it before arriving in Spain. And what better place to start learning Spanish than in our Spanish school.
  • Visa: if you are from outside the EU you will need a visa to come to Spain. You can apply for a tourist visa (90 days) or a long-term study visa. 
  • Accommodation: sometimes students come to Spain to live in the house of a friend or family member. If this is not the case, we recommend that you look for accommodation before coming.
  • Cost of living: you must bear in mind that large cities are more expensive, you must include issues such as accommodation, food, transportation, courses or study materials in your budget.
  • Culture: Spain has a culture that may be different from that of your country of origin. It will help you a lot to know what we Spaniards are like.
  • Transportation: Public transportation in Spain is quite good and can be a cheaper option than having your own car. Most cities have subway and bus systems that are easy to use.

If you already have all this more or less under control, we explain the steps to follow depending on your age and level of education.

I am under 18 and have not completed my Secondary or Baccalaureate studies

In this case, it will be recommended that you continue your studies in Spain, completing Compulsory Secondary Education (up to 16 years of age) or the Spanish Baccalaureate (up to 18 years of age). Generally, these procedures are carried out by the parents or guardians of the minor, for which it is necessary:

  • That the minor is registered in the city of residence.
  • If one of the parents is in the country of origin, they must send a power of attorney to the other parent, so that they can carry out the necessary procedures to enroll the minor in the school.

With the above already prepared, parents can go to a formal education center to be guided on the course that the student can join based on their age.

If you are of legal age and have not finished your secondary or high school studies, you can prepare the free tests to obtain the secondary school graduate degree in Spain, access tests to vocational training cycles (official technical teachings to learn a trade) or the University entrance exam for over 25s. These tests are prepared for students of different ages depending on their academic objectives.

I have finished my Secondary or Baccalaureate studies in my country, I can homologate them to the Spanish baccalaureate, and I want to pursue higher education in Spain

In this case you can prepare to access these higher studies through the homologation of the qualification from your country. This approval is a procedure that is carried out in the Ministry of Education of Spain, and you can do it from your country of origin or once you have arrived in our country. Here You have explained, step by step, how to homologate your Baccalaureate studies in Spain.

In Spain, two types of higher education are offered: vocational training and university degrees. 

👉Higher vocational training titles are technical studies, they last two years, and are offered so that the student learns a trade and can enter the labor market. In fact, in the last weeks of this degree you will do internships in a company. You can apply for a place in a higher level training cycle if you have your qualification approved to the Spanish Baccalaureate.

👉University degrees normally last four years. In addition to starting your process of homologation to the Spanish baccalaureate, to access the university you must check the admission conditions of the university you want to enter. These universities may require you to take an exam similar to that of students with a Spanish Baccalaureate, called EBAU or EvAU. However, other universities may require you to appear at UNEDasiss Specific Competence Tests. These exams are held in May-June in their ordinary session (July-September in the extraordinary one), and you already know that you can prepare them in Luis Vives.

I have started a university degree in my country, but I have not finished it

If you want to study at university in Spain as a foreigner and in your country you have started a university degree but have NOT finished it, what you must do is approve your high school diploma and carry out the admission process at the university you want. Once you have achieved access, you can request validation of subjects approved at the university in your country. You should know that the decision to validate the subjects will be reserved for the Spanish university to which you enter.

I have a university degree in my country and I want to validate it to study a master's degree or work in Spain as a foreigner

In this case you can request the recognition of your university degree at the Ministry of Education. You should know that this process takes a long time, as of the date this article is written. We recommend that you attend an interview with the Ministry of Education. They will inform you of the time and options you would have to homologate your university degree.