Study in 🇪🇸Spain: we solve all your doubts

Study in Spain as a foreigner - Luis Vives Study Center

Study in 🇪🇸Spain: we solve all your doubts

Have you already decided? Do you want to come to study in Spain? Good! Spain is a very popular destination among international students. It has a great history, cultural wealth and a warm climate. That is why many young people decide to come to study in Spain and they do so from very diverse backgrounds: Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, the United States, Morocco or Iran. In this article you will discover important questions that you should know, and what steps you should follow depending on your age and your level of education. And if instead of reading you prefer to be told, you have to see the video we have prepared about all the steps to follow to study in Spain as a foreigner.

What do I need to know to come to study in Spain as a foreigner?

To start planning to come to study in Spain as a foreigner, there are certain things that we consider important for you to be clear about.

  • The language: if you don't speak Spanish, you will have to start studying it before arriving in Spain. And what better place to start learning Spanish than in our Spanish school.
  • Visa: if you are from outside the EU you will need a visa to come to Spain. You can apply for a tourist visa (90 days) or a long-term study visa. 
  • Accommodation: sometimes students come to Spain to live in the house of a friend or family member. If this is not the case, we recommend that you look for accommodation before coming.
  • Cost of living: you must bear in mind that large cities are more expensive, you must include issues such as accommodation, food, transportation, courses or study materials in your budget.
  • Culture: Spain has a culture that may be different from that of your country of origin. It will help you a lot to know what we Spaniards are like.
  • Transportation: Public transportation in Spain is quite good and can be a cheaper option than having your own car. Most cities have subway and bus systems that are easy to use.

If you already have all this more or less under control, we explain the steps to follow depending on your age and level of education.

I am under 18 and have not completed my Secondary or Baccalaureate studies

In this case, it will be recommended that you continue your studies in Spain, completing Compulsory Secondary Education (up to 16 years of age) or the Spanish Baccalaureate (up to 18 years of age). Generally, these procedures are carried out by the parents or guardians of the minor, for which it is necessary:

  • That the minor is registered in the city of residence.
  • If one of the parents is in the country of origin, they must send a power of attorney to the other parent, so that they can carry out the necessary procedures to enroll the minor in the school.

With the above already prepared, parents can go to a formal education center to be guided on the course that the student can join based on their age.

If you are of legal age and have not finished your secondary or high school studies, you can prepare the free tests to obtain the secondary school graduate degree in Spain, access tests to vocational training cycles (official technical teachings to learn a trade) or the University entrance exam for over 25s. These tests are prepared for students of different ages depending on their academic objectives.

I have finished my Secondary or Baccalaureate studies in my country, I can homologate them to the Spanish baccalaureate, and I want to pursue higher education in Spain

In this case you can prepare to access these higher studies through the homologation of the qualification from your country. This approval is a procedure that is carried out in the Ministry of Education of Spain, and you can do it from your country of origin or once you have arrived in our country. Here You have explained, step by step, how to homologate your Baccalaureate studies in Spain.

In Spain, two types of higher education are offered: vocational training and university degrees. 

👉Higher vocational training titles are technical studies, they last two years, and are offered so that the student learns a trade and can enter the labor market. In fact, in the last weeks of this degree you will do internships in a company. You can apply for a place in a higher level training cycle if you have your qualification approved to the Spanish Baccalaureate.

👉University degrees normally last four years. In addition to starting your process of homologation to the Spanish baccalaureate, to access the university you must check the admission conditions of the university you want to enter. These universities may require you to take an exam similar to that of students with a Spanish Baccalaureate, called EBAU or EvAU. However, other universities may require you to appear at UNEDasiss Specific Competence Tests. These exams are held in May-June in their ordinary session (July-September in the extraordinary one), and you already know that you can prepare them in Luis Vives.

I have started a university degree in my country, but I have not finished it

If you want to study at university in Spain as a foreigner and in your country you have started a university degree but have NOT finished it, what you must do is approve your high school diploma and carry out the admission process at the university you want. Once you have achieved access, you can request validation of subjects approved at the university in your country. You should know that the decision to validate the subjects will be reserved for the Spanish university to which you enter.

I have a university degree in my country and I want to validate it to study a master's degree or work in Spain as a foreigner

In this case you can request the recognition of your university degree at the Ministry of Education. You should know that this process takes a long time, as of the date this article is written. We recommend that you attend an interview with the Ministry of Education. They will inform you of the time and options you would have to homologate your university degree.

  • March 29, 2024 at 10:58 pm

    Hello, I want to enroll my son in secondary education, we are from Latin America, what requirements do I need so that he can study in Spain legally?

    • April 1, 2024 at 9:27 am

      Hello Naomi:

      In order to enroll your child in secondary school, we recommend that you go directly to a secondary education institute and that they inform you of the necessary requirements for this.

      A greeting.

tell us what you think

Please enter comment.
Please enter your name.
Please enter your email address.
Please enter a valid email address.